So Last night did not go as Bethany and I thought- there is a lot of corruption in Ghana. There is something going on at the orphanage that we are not clean on- it has more to do with finances then it does with the care of the children- which it is clear that they are all well cared for. So we are not going to be able to sponsor Emmanuel for school. But there are a few things that we are going to do. We are going to buy school supplies for all of the children- along with the pens hat I hope to be getting within the next few weeks. We will buy notebooks and pencils. They have official notebooks for schools in Ghana which i think is interesting. Also as we talked to some of the kids this past trip we are going to take a field trip with the 10 oldest to the beach- a few other ISEPers will also go with us. We are most likely going to go on March 7th. The baby went home- which confused me a little, but they got 6month old twin girls. They are adorable. I have to remember to bring my camera next week and see if we can take pictures of the children. We had a crazy time trying to get back to Legon- after about 2.5 hours we got back and had dinner. It was a little disappointing but we will do some things that will be good for all the children.
So this morning I had my Play Analysis class. I think I have mentioned before that a girl preaches/gospel talk before class. I sit with the same group 6-8 people and we always chat before class. But I dont know if it was the weather or if I just happened to be talking a little bit louder then everyone else. Ghanaian in general are soft spoken- and I am on the loader side. But in the middle of her talk she was like Oburoni be quiet. I was taken aback because it wasn't in a nice- please way that they usually start every sentence with please but this sentence did not. I was very taken back- so next week I will just keep my volume down. The group I was with said she needs to get off of her high horse... she is ultra-conservative christian and her talks basically tell everyone that they are wrong. I respect her believes but most of the class doesn't want to listen to her- so i dont feel that talking at all is disrespectful. Its all about the experience though.
I have my first interview for my independent Study today- and have three more this week. So busy with that. Andi and I are going to Medina Market tomorrow to get some fabric so we can have clothes made.
I guess that is it for now.
Midge
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hello,
Keep your chin up....there is corruption all over the place....sounds like you have a plan to help the children and as you stated they are being well cared for and that matters the most. The package was mailed today and will be interesting to see how long it will get to you. We received your letter and your wonderful art work....I am thrilled. You made my day.lBe safe.
Love you, Mom :)
Glad you got it- its funny because I just asked dad- the mail must have not come when I talked to him earlier... Just a few days past the holiday- I am not going to let it ruin our time with the kids. One of the orphanages was closed down in Accra this past week- lots of crazy things. One of the ISEP girls re-tiled and painted one of the rooms last semester and now the are closed. Its crazy how the highs can go to lows...
Post a Comment