Monday, February 16, 2009

So just because there is not much else to write about

Food In Ghana-

There are a lot of really good foods here-

So Red Red (or Plantains and Beans) is a very good food- its not like baked beans at home they have a little spice to them. I am not sure how to explain the way that they are made, but it is good.

Fufuo- is a ball of cassava, plantains or yam pounded to a goo. I have tried it one- will try again I just need to find a soup that I like. Fufuo is served in soup - as like tofu it has no flavor.

Banku is simular to Fufuo but instead of pounded it is boiled. I have not tried this- but plan on it.

Ghanaian Salad- is a cole slow with beans, either chicken or beef, tomato sauce and a seasoning- it is very good.

If you cant tell Plantains are big here- plantain chips, grilled, and fried- all amazing!

Jollof, fried, and white rice are big here too. Chicken and a whole fish are typical with rice.

Lots of eggs- egg sandwiches for breakfast and hard boiled for lunch or dinner.

There is a vegan stand in the night market near my hostel- she has amazing food. Salads, gyro, ochra salad, soup, agushie greens. All amazing. Oh and Yam Balls-

These are the majority of the diet here.

I am off to the orphanage this afternoon to get Emmanuel into school. Will write more later or tomorrow.

<3 Midge
Comments Please

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marissa,
Your pictures are incredible as usually. I have tears in my eyes as I see you....I miss you but they are tears of happiness.....you look wonderful as well as very happy. The experience continues to be amazing.....
I love your gnome being with you on your adventure!
Enjoy your day and hope all goes well with enrolling Emmanuel.
Love you. Mom :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Midge,
It was so great to talk to you on Sunday. You sound great!! I just looked through your latest photos and I love them. The beach looks fabulous!! Of course we are still cold here but the good news is the snow is gone. :)
You look wonderful- make sure you are in more photos so we can see you. We are still so proud of you and miss you so much.
Love you- Auntie , Wayne and Sammy

Unknown said...

Hi Marissa,
I'm realy enjoying your blog and all the pics. I've downloaded all the pics and will create a disc
to save for posterity. We are all traveling with you day by day.Be safe and savor every day.
Uncle Bert