Thursday, February 12, 2009

Thursday Evening

Today has been good-
I passed my drum exam- not that it is really anything to pass or fail if that makes sense. We as a class passed- I don’t know what that really means but okay! I got my Twi exam back 19/25 which is good.

The concert was fun. Not what I expected it was a mix of African and western music so not as traditional as I thought it was going to be. It was still fun and hanging around with friends under a sky full of stars makes for a great evening.

I purchased two more of my books- which aren’t books they are photocopies because the access to books here is so limited they photocopy which the librarian in me is questioning the copyright infringement there but oh well. Right? (Only about 2USD for two plays you cant beat that).

So Bethany and I (and a few others not sure exactly yet) have decided that one of the boys Emmanuel must go to school. For a child to attend school here its about 150cedis or about 100USD per term. Each school varies, and first semester is usually more because of books and supplies that need to be purchased. Both him and his sister Sarah are at the Teshie Orphanage. Emmanuel have up his schooling this year so Sarah could go. She is 17 and he is a few years younger (we think 15). He is very bright and should be in school. So we are all going to pitch in and pay for him to go to school and also get him supplies. If anyone would like to send pens to me- regular old BIC pens (ask for the address if you don’t have it- you would need to send them in the fluffy envelopes which is about 9.00USD to send if light weight), I want to get the orphanage pens. Pens are over 1USD per. It is so expensive for the people here. The children here don’t beg for money they beg us for pens so they can take their exams. One thing I wanted to do here before leaving was to make a true difference to one person’s life. This is a way of doing it. Bethany and I are also going to pay for Emmanuel’s education until he finished senior-secondary school, which would be 3 more years. So on Monday we are going to go and tell the Mother that we want to do this and that we want to get him enrolled as soon as possible because he is a term behind, but we can help him to get caught up. Sarah and I really clicked she is 17. Her studies are focused on Math and Science though those are more of my stronger subjects but it has been so long since I did these types of problems. So I am going to re-learn and help her. Bethany was helping more of the 3rd and 4th graders with work. Its fun to help with school work when its not yours.

Random- I think i meet the first homosexual Ghanaian of the trip. Just aside. Homosexuality is not spoken about here and not really accepted- its like the military of dont ask dont tell. Because there is such a European influence here it is sometimes hard to say but I think he might have been- things like this I dont even think about walking around but then when I start to write its like hmmm... Oh the things you can think.

I guess that is it for now.
Midge

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is incredible that you are going to help that boy with his education. I want to help as well...we can talk more. I will plan to send a package of supplies including pens...when you think of what we take for granted everyday...the little that I can help, I will do.
I am so proud of the person that you are! Love you, Mom :)

Marissa said...

The things that we take for granted far out way the reasons that we do not help each in a little way the people who have nothing to take for granted. Thanks for the help. Talk to you soon.