Thursday, February 26, 2009

Can A Smile Get Any Bigger???

Wednesday:
Wow! So we are having our second exam in Twi today. That means in about 2 or 3 weeks this class will be done. It’s enjoyable and I feel like this is a language I could actually be good in- but in 3 months you will not become fluent- I can say more things in Twi then in my 4 years of French- it’s a very easy language, I actually use it almost everyday. Twice a week is a lot, and it’s at such a weird time. The rest of the day is mine- no huge plans. We might go out for dinner- it’s been awhile since we did that, I don’t know though. Yesterday was same old same day Tuesday. I am finally getting most of the second song- but we are moving on to the third so I don’t know how much I will actually remember. April 17th is the last day of classes- so that means we have 7 weeks of classes- so that final will be within the next 7 weeks- and we still have to learn the 3rd song… and I can’t really remember the 1st one. Hopefully we will do a lot of review! I was speaking to some of my Ghanaian friends and they can’t remember their songs either and they have been doing this for 3 years so I don’t feel as bad.

Last night there was a futball game, some people were watching it on the top floor of the building- if that is the noise at a hostel watching the game of TV I cannot even imagine the noise at the actual game. Let’s just say I can not wait to go! I think we are going the last weekend in March- one of the girl’s birthdays is that weekend- which would be a lot of fun. There are so many things on the list- but I would rather do these types of things- more culture that way! Going on trips is great but most of the time you don’t learn about the culture- you lay on the beach- I want to take ever moment and learn the most I can about Ghanaian culture. That’s why I am here. Not to party and go to clubs or lay on the beach. Don’t get me wrong its nice but am I really reaching out and learning?

Our group has been plagued with sickness this week. I think I total of 5 people have been to the hospital for varying things. Dehlia spend 2 nights- she had a bacteria infection of some sort. Ryan still hasn’t gotten his results- but he is feeling better, Kaci has a cyst on her eye, Sonja has been sick-don’t know if she went to the hospital- maybe just the clinic, Danielle has Malaria for the second time on the trip, I believe…that’s I think it. A lot of this is through others so who knows what is really going on. As a group we were good until now. Hopefully this will be the week and we won’t have anything else. Let’s keep our fingers crossed.

I think that is about it for now- two shows this weekend. Vagina Monologues on Thursday and Dinner for Promotion on Saturday- looking forward to both, and now that I know people in both it makes it better! I actually helped one of the Ghanaians the other day with her lines- I felt like I was at home again. I think I might go to the orphanage on Sunday for the day- I have to call to make sure that’s okay- but I figured the kids are home, I am around this weekend- I should go.

<3 Midge

Thursday:
Today I woke up to a rain storm- drum class was canceled. Theatre Management took place in the hottest, sweetest, a stinky room ever. Part of the campus has been out of power for about 2 days... so no fans- no wind makes for a stinky and hot classroom. Thankfully about 30 minutes before class closed the power came- FANS!!! Yea- Israel and I walked to the night market and meet up with a group of people and had dinner. About 14 ISEPers went to see Jenn and Alyssa in the Vagina Monologues. I need to see it next year at Southern to compare the shows- because I know they are very different! I am about to head to bed since it is 11pm- late for me... I dont know what I am doing tomorrow- but for now. Peace and love. Midge

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Marissa,
I am impressed how you have been so open to learning the Twi language....I know it was scary thought for you but appears that you have embraced the language.
Please be careful with all the sickness that has been sourrounding you...sounds like you are sleeping well which hopefully will help you fight any nasty things. Be safe!Love you,
Mom