So I have been here for about 5 weeks so I guess I can do this listing. Just a fact they say it takes about 21 days for your taste buds to change. I will do this before I leave as well- but I figured this would be a fun little entry for a day of nothing....I was going to go the market- but I don't think so today- lol (see laziness later)
Things I will Miss when I go back to the States:
-Glass bottles of soda (but Diet Coke is hard to find and they charge more for it)
-Friends that I have made of both Ghanaian, American, and European.
-The culture- which now i feel I am a part of in the way that I can
-Peacefulness of daily life
-"laziness" not having to worry about deadlines and what time you get somewhere- IT IS SO HARD FOR ME...
-The souls of people. Some one asked me at the woodcarving village what I liked most about Ghana and I said the souls of the Ghanaian- he shock my hand and told me 'god bless'... This land is beautiful, the people are beautiful inside and out.
-Jollof Rice.
-Food from the Vegan Stand in the Night Market
-Egg Sandwiches- (breakfast)
Things I will not miss-
-bug spray before bed
-clean feet- I think my feet are 4 shades different then my body- no matter how much you scrub
-Malaria pills daily
-Diet coke-
-Sand in your mouth- and you dont know how it got there.
-Hand Washing laundry- even though its not that bad- just takes time
- Not having access to 'real' cheese and milk.
Thats it at this time- Working on my independent study and reading for the rest of the day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Ha--It's funny so see your posted time as 4 am. Even I don't wake up that early! :D
SO, you've mentioned the "laziness" inherent to life in Ghana several times now. I know that I am always trying to economize on time during the semester, so how does this "laissez-faire" attitude affect one's life as a student (i.e. you, although I'm not necessarily refering to how you like to be busy :D)?
As for me, reading your blog daily = best way to procrastinate :D
Have fun and make good choices!
Thats 4am EST but 9am here. you silly thing. (which I cant use here I have found out because its an insult) but a lot of Ghanaians wake up before 5am so i guess I would fit in that way. 630/7am is normal for me here.
So to comment back- being a student here is very different. Most classes (90% plus) are lectures of more the 100 students. You have very little homework- if any. You usually do not have any exams until the final. Books are very hard to come by here so most classes get a reading packet- it is necessary to attend class and really pay attention to the lecture because some time that is the whole class and what will be on the final- So if that makes sense you can only be a lazy student if you dont go to lecture. So basically there is a lot of free time to volunteer (Mondays for me), read for pleasure (or my independent study), hang with friends, and bad habit- taking lots of naps... It is weird not working on a show here but it feels so nice- I was up to 56 productions in 5 years.. I am crazy.
I like your procrastination....
Talk to you soon.
Yes, I was aware of the time difference...you silly thing.
And I have two papers, an assignment, and a midterm tomorrow, so naturally I'm spending my day reading your blog.
Have an excellent rest of the weekend!
Post a Comment