Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I didn't know life could get any better

So yesterday was Monday if you all didn't know. Monday= orphanage. But yesterday morning I went to the market and picked up my skirt! I love it! Its looks great. I modeled (yes- I modeled clothing) last night! I am wearing it Saturday for the show. I can not wait to get more made. I bought fabric from my adopted fabric lady mother at the market again to have a skirt made out of. So I have fabric for skirt, dress, and drum case still to do...

So Bethany was already in Teshie so yesterday was my first Tro-Tro ride by myself...and ended up going back alone because Bethany came back to campus- but I succeeded! I got to the orphanage the bigger of the two twins (Agogo) was up- the one who screamed if we looked at her...well something changed because before i knew it she was on my lap. The smaller of the two woke up from her nap and they put her in the stroller were Agogo had been. Well the next thing both of them were on my lap- playing with each other, playing with my hair, licking me and just having a good time... It was amazing. I have always wanted twins (for what reason I do not know) and this only affirmed that. The children came home and at one point the smaller one started crying so Auntie took her from me and I went to the front of the building where the children do their school work and had Agogo till I left! It was great! I brought the 'futball' for the kids yesterday- they were so excited. So they all had little to no homework yesterday and when they were done I asked Auntie if they could play and she said yes. But when Mother got back from an errand- she did not like that they were playing- she said they should have been studying- so i dont know who was in the wrong- There was another volunteer there Richard- he is Ghanaian- he is taking his SATs this fall hopefully to go to school in the states. He wants to study Physics or Engineering. He was confused by the playing and learning- and he grew up here! He said some days you just never know. I told him I would help him as much as I can with school searching and such- It wasn't that long ago that I was in his boat- there arn't guidance councilors or anything like that here to help students out so they are completely on their own. Which must not be fun! He works full time and then goes to the orphanage each day to help with homework- if it wasnt over an hour away I would go more often. Coming home it just felt so good to be making a difference for people who are older then me (Richard) and children just beginning life's journey. Feelings that I will never forget and hopefully never forget- if that makes sense. Off to classes.... Midge

No comments: