So yesterday when walking back from the night market in broad daylight with a ton of people around to the hostel (Andi and I) were walking and as we got to a joining cross walk a man grabbed my ankle (and I am thinking omg, i dont have but 5cedis on my you can have it all) and then he said "I love your tattoo" I was like thanks- as he still has many ankle...So I wrestle it out of his hand not violently but I was loosing my balance because I was not expecting this action and he continues to read it, introduces himself, and wishes me a good day. Personal space and bubbles are very very small here. I have gotten use to it- but this is the first time that I have been really grabbed- in the market it happens and they warned us about it. But it happened. I feel fine- but at the time it was like what is going on?
Last night was basically quiet. I had one of my interviews with Kofi who is our Twi Lecturer and has a lot of knowledge of Africa for my independent study. And it was funny at the end he started asking me questions which throw me off guard- A few of them got me thinking.
1. What is the biggest thing you have learned about yourself while here? (I need to slow down and take every moment in life for granted. Each thing I do in my life is important and going one moment to the next with no reflection is not good. Also I d not get enough sleep at home. It is so nice to feel rested.)
2. What is the biggest thing you have learned about African Culture while here? (This is one of the same things I thought in India- no matter how poor someone is here, they are still happy and will ask you how your day is going before they ask you for money. African's have a soul like no other and are just beautiful people inside and out).
3. What would your family and friends think of you marrying a Ghanaian?
So for the last one I have my personal thoughts but I would like to know yours- so you know the drill- comment...
Today Andi and I went to Medina- I got fabrics and are having clothing made. I love little day trips like this! Its the day to day life things that get me excited. This Friday there is a large group of Americans and Ghanaian going to "A Diary of a Mad Black Women." and then on Saturday we are going to Kpong (thats for you Caitlin- a little north-east of Aburi) to the bead making village.
So I guess that is it...
Midge
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Very interesting questions and your reflection on those questions was just as interesting. I am proud of the person you are!!!! My reflection on that last question would be.....would you live in US or Ghana.....my answers would vary depending on how you would answer.
Enjoy your time there....
Love you, Mom :)
Post a Comment