Saturday, February 21, 2009

Today was fabulous!!!!

So today was an absolutely fabulous day. Not that most days are not here. Andi and I left hostel around 9:15 am to head to Kpong which is a village to the North-East of Accra. It is about a two hour tro-tro ride. We easily transferred from Medina Market to a Tro-tro to Kpong. Though our mate and driver did not know where we were trying to go we got to the Kpong station and got some help from a local women and we meet up with Moses a taxi driver who knew where we were going and agreed to work as a "guide" for us. We went to the Cedi Beading Shop where we received a tour from Mark one of the bead makers. He walked us through the steps of the 5 different types of beads that they make, showed us where they fire the beads and the process and then the polishing process. We then off course went into the shop (we had planned on going to the market to buy beads as well but the prices at the shop were very good). I bought a ton of beads which I will turn into presents for many different people. They are all soooo beautiful. The shop was in the middle of a field and it was just beautiful. Moses then took us back to the market- we walked around for a bit- but we both had bought what we wanted.

So we crossed the street and easily found a tro-tro back to Accra and one that would drop us off at Legon (our stop) with out having to make a transfer somewhere else. We are getting so much better at this whole tro-tro thing. I am even starting to get some of the hand motions down so I don't have to yell and go after tro-tros.Easy as pie. We did get stopped at the police barricade again but a single cedi payed off the officer for our one extra person. Except for the lady in the row with us who took up half of the row for three the trip home was fast and except for a few very rough bumps pretty painless. We got back around 3:30pm. Which all in all was a long but short day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marissa,
Your last two entries are interesting. Good for you to sit back and enjoy the experience of Ghanian theatre. Even though it is totally against all that you would do but you are in a different mid set and I am jealous! Almost like you have no worries....continue to cherish your time their because reality will soon be setting in for you. I am anxious to see the beads from your day trip.
Little Women was wonderful! Unfortunately you missed the show. Take care..love you Mom :)

Anonymous said...

The adventure continues - I get tired just reading your blog ,,, I don't get on everyday so I have "catching up" to do when I do. We still relish the looks on people's faces when we tell them where you are and what you are doing. Like mom says, we are jealous so we kinda live vicariously through the blog and the stories that we relate to other people. With today being the 22nd, it makes it easy to count to when you will come home. At the same time, it makes it difficult to count to when you will come home. We miss you - we love you
Dad

Anonymous said...

The bead shop sounds amazing! I am anxious to see all your collected treasures (and all the random things I'm sure you've accumulated along the way...).

Sorry I missed your calls/message last week! Delayed reception I guess. I'll be home this week if you'd like to try again.

And stop saying "I can't believe I'll be leaving in (some length of time)..."--It's too early to reflect BACK on your trip now!

Nevertheless, see you SOON!