Saturday, March 21, 2009

Tears can not be stopped

Hello-

There are so many lessons that I have learned here- some I can write about some I really can't expressed into words.

Thursday I had my day of classes including going to Circle- (Center of town) to pick up my package. I am glad that Prince and Israel brought me- it is a crazy place! I never have the need to go there so it was my first time- INSANE! It took a while but I got it. I got both Papas and Moms package which was nice. I have about 60 pens to bring to the orphanage! (At this point no packages should be sent- flat mail is okay-) Theatre Management consisted today of a lot of songs being sung in Twi and English! More entertainment for my buck I guess. Theatre Management ended with an argument about when our extra meeting should be- I dont care...

Friday- I hung around the hostel- finished a book. I have had so much time to read- I need to go get some more. We are exchanging within the group- but those are slim picking now. Israel came over and we watched Beauty and the Beast. After seeing the show last week he wanted to see the movie- I hadnt seen it in years- wow!

We then went to see Sarafina- it is a South Africa (pop?) musical about the Apartheid. The book I just finished was about the Apartheid so it felt appropriate. So usually a lot of International students go to the shows- but last night I was the only white Oburoni there- sitting there watching a powerful script (not the best executed but) about the power that the Black Africans (mostly students and teachers- something I want to research more on.) had against the whites was something that I will never forget- the empowerment of Africans, the things that my ancestors did, the things that will never be forgotten, the things that SHOULD NOT be forgotten- history tends to repeat itself and we need to stop that from happening. There were a few times that I was on the verge of tears- the actions, the songs, the torches, the music all moved me in a way that I really can not say. African folk songs were joined in by the audience- in their local languages, in English, and some humming. I wish every person who has every thought about Africans both here and the USA do not have a pride that we only wish we could- have sat there and felt the vibration and the soul that filled the ampli-theatre.

Side note: Theatre safety Midge- real fire was used many many times- very close to the audience, the actors, the set! AHHHH. Stage Combat- they really hit, kick, punch, slap the people!!! AHHH!!!!

I am around this weekend- plans changed- major lesson: be flexible, be patient, enjoy yourself- something I need to take back with me....

Thats all.
Midge

No comments: