Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A few other things!

This is an extension of yesterday’s entry (and some other ones)-

So Cross, Abeseriwa, and Gerry work for FOX one of the best Radio station in Ghana- here’s the link if you want to try to listen to it- I will when I get home! (Maybe you will hear Andi and my jingle--- it will be in Twi so you won’t know—lol)
http://www.listenghana.com

On the drive back I had a lot of thoughts going through my head. Exactly 7 weeks left. We are about 2/3 done with this trip- I wrote a few days ago about having no regrets- I have some trips planned. I love this country, I love the people but traveling around and lying on beaches does not let you have that type of contact to learn about the culture. When in Kumasi I meet Muhammad a tour guide from Mali- he specializes in ethnic awareness travel in West Africa- he is in the middle of a 33 day trip with a couple from Florida- he was so knowledgeable of 6 countries the people and customs! I want to be able to bring someone to Ghana and show them the way of the life- but right now I don’t feel like I would be able to do that- so that is my focus for the next few weeks. Learn the ways of life. One of my friends Prince said he would make me Banku (you eat it with soup it’s a dough like substance) but I don’t want him to just make it- I WANT TO LEARN HOW TO MAKE IT! I want to learn how to make other foods as well. Sitting in the car I felt like I was in the woods in Maine- at night everything looks the same. I got home sick, I was missing things of life and people. Bittersweet is what saying good-bye to Ghana will be. I love it here- but I love things about home and I miss some!

Some people here are pissed that we have to learn Twi and didn’t want to take the test or class. They are now being threatened that they will not get their transcript and they are pissed- it was part of our contract. It has helped a lot- I am not good at it- but I can pick up on a few things- yes I am laughed at a lot when I use it! But it works- when people see that you want to become a part of their culture that will accept you and welcome you for trying. They laugh because we have such American accents but not really making fun of us. I rather be laughed at then not be. I am trying- I want to continue to learn as much as I can. I want to come back to Ghana and be able to walk up to some one in a market and converse not just say hello…

Some people have asked me if it smells here- yes it does- am I use to it- maybe, because I really don’t notice anymore? The water has been out at my hostel since Thursday. The hotel we stayed at water went out- I have not taken a real shower since Thursday. This morning I took a bucket shower- and it felt great- but its weird I didn’t feel gross before that. You wash up everyday yes- but there’s a big difference especially sitting in traffic, getting in a tropical storm, sitting in a stadium and such. How did I not feel gross? The water is still off- the shower I can do without but toilets are another matter! At the stadium I was dreading the toilets- but amazingly they were somewhat clean- they were clean for Ghana standards- they were clean for AMERICAN STADIUM standards- how could that be? Maybe that’s what our extra ticket price gave us?? So that was nice!!! Most people know I like things that are clean and orderly- the orderly is not gone in me but the clean I am trying. I want things to be clean but I am being able to get use to things not being clean….like the hotel we stayed in this week- really not that clean…but I survived! I will go home and not know what to do with HOT water or regular soap?? (As of Tuesday night we have WATER!!!!)

I take things for granted I know this. I try not to because I know there are people without the things to live day to day. When people ask me to give them something here- it’s a simple no or daabi but it breaks my heart sometimes- most of the time its kids just being pains but other times it is people trying to get by but their daily lives can not provide. What is clean water? Is something in India I came to realize here they have pure water everywhere in sachets for 5pesews about .02USD I will buy someone a sachet if they ask me nicely and look like they need one- but if they are like “buy me” no- “would you please buy me water” I would- Ghana is a communal land- if each brother and sister helps each other prosperity will ensue. If you are eating on a trotro or bus you offer “you’re invited” to everyone- I forget sometimes and my neighbors remind me… but in the states we are so concerned about me, me, me or I, I, I but do not care about we, we, we no wonder we let our brothers and sisters starve while we waste food. I feel guilty here when I don’t finish my food- there is someone on the corner starving. I know there is- some people laugh when they have leftovers and are like I will send it to Africa. But think about this- you can buy a bag of rice through organizations and feed a family for less then that dinner cost you- and feed them for days on end. So why do we waste our money on things that we don’t need. Do we need that new bag, shirt, electronic? I know I am guilty of this- and I am not saying we can’t have nice things- but moderation on everything is key to life sustaining on this earth. If we do a little the world will echo back. Its like a pebble into water effect…

Play analysis and drumming this morning.

Tuesday-

I went to my Play Analysis- It ended up being canceled after about 30 minutes we left. Leaving I ran into Prince- he walked me back to the hostel and I found out about the 300 level student's night at the theatre- most of them were there all night- so most didn't show up for our morning class and I have a feeling that is why it was canceled. They 'slept' there, slaughter some goats to eat food- you would think they were in a village! Most of them were not happy campers because they had to be back at 11am.... This lecturer wants them to LIVE THEATRE!! I thought I did it sometimes- but this is a whole new concept....

So I went to see the show tonight that the 300 Theatre in African Societies class was presenting- it was all in Twi which I knew- I had lined up a translator. Waakyei from our class but he got stuck in traffic (that always happens) so Johnny, Andi and I watched a show with basically a little history from Johnny who is in the class- but it was fun- I know about 3/4 of the cast which is nice when watching! So I am back it late- Im tired... going to bed...

Midge

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Marissa,
What can I say other than I am so proud of you....you have been given an experience of a life time and your perspective on life has changed....
I love you....Mom :)