This weekend I went to Kumasi again- this time with the reason to meet Israel’s family. First off Friday night Andi and I went to see Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. It was a very good production. The singers were all very talented- if only I had a voice like that… oh well my talents lay somewhere else.
The order of children in the Deku family
Morgan- married 3 kids works for Narcotics prevention
Maxwell- married 3 kids- owns a saw mill
Constance- not married- seamstress
Gordon- in london, engaged- student
Innocencia- Married, 3 kids- has a shop, her husband is in the military
Wisdom- Computer programmer
Israel- student
We left at 8am from campus and arrived at his parents house around 2pm. List of who was there: His mom (Mamme-Ata), His Dad (Mr. Deku or Day *hard A*), Innocencia (Inno for short- she is turning 30 at the end of May- and so happy!)- her three kids- Jazeus 5, Nelkel 3, Princess 6 weeks. Ama (Maxwell’s wife) and here three kids Junior 9, Israel 1, and Francis 2 weeks. Constance- the older sister and Aunt Dzara (spelling?). So we talked for a while- most of them I talked to them one on one which was nice because then I didn’t feel like I was being interviewed by the whole family. They have a nice 3 bedroom apartment. They are currently building a house which should be done at the end of the year. I was made Banku which is similar to fufuo- its boiled dough served with soup. They made an okra stew with fish- It was very good- home made things defiantly always taste better- it is so filling and I felt bad not finishing it but I was sooo full. We talked most of the night away- a storm came which cooled done most of the area which was nice.
In the morning egg sandwiches were served- staple breakfast food. They were shocked that I did not put anything in my tea- to the point that had Israel ask me again to make sure that that was what I wanted… At this point Maxwell was back so I got to talk to him. And Wisdom came back as well- but I have spent some of time with him already- before I knew it another meal was being served- I was still full. This was chicken and home made jollof. It was sooo good but there was no way I could have finished it- They are defiantly in the role of feeding you! On Sunday I also meet- the landlady, the family photographer, Florence- a cousin who is almost ready to have a baby, and Gordon’s FiancĂ©. We left the house around 1:30pm and arrived back to my hostel around 8:30. Not too bad. But it makes for a very long day- and I hadn’t slept the best Saturday night.
I didn't meet Gordon because he is in London- and Morgan who is the oldest because he was at something for his job- but he is coming to Accra within the next two or three weeks so i should be able to meet him then.
It was a great weekend- It made me miss home seeing a family at home that is for sure. They are all as kind-hearted as Israel. They made me feel like I was part of the family within seconds of walking in the door. It was a great experience. Nelkel who is 3 asked if I would be coming again- who knows when but I would like to. If my finals schedule stays as it is and I can’t get my plane ticket changed the way I want it to- I might have time to go up again for a visit- maybe learn to cook!
Random travel facts of Ghana-
1. If there are pot holes drive where you want on the road- middle or side- doesn't matter.
2. Flash your high beams when ever you want
3. Beep the horn when ever you want.
4. The gutters are not made to drive in!
5. Nigerian movies suck (aka Visual Torture-) Ghanaian movies aren't half bad.
6. Do not drink anything if you are traveling- bathrooms are not readily available! except the trees and bushes.
Pictures soon- the internet is really slow right now- so who knows- I will post when they are up
Midge
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Sounds like you had a great time!!!
Hallie
Marissa,
I loved how you described each of the family members. I am anxious to see pictures especially of the children. Great tips for when you are on the road....
gather as many recipes as you can because I would love to have some samples for when you return.
Miss you....
Love you, Mom :)
Post a Comment