Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Tuesday

So today was the first damper- My class African Popular got moved to a time where I can not take it so I do not know what I am going to do. I can technically not add another class because I am taking 4 others but I still do not know about the Twi class and the transfer of those credits… Andi and I are going to walk around this afternoon and see if we can find a class that me might be able to take. (Update: NOTHING!!!!) The biggest problem is all of the guidelines that are set on what you can and cannot take during the same semester- one thing is you have to take ALL the same level- so I am taking all 300 levels…and right now there are not many 300s that are left that one I can take, two fit my schedule, three are approved and four are not in the same groups as Theatre and music….So I am going to see if I can just take the 3 classes and the Twi and call it good. I will still be able to graduate on time so I don’t see it being an issue. I am waiting for a call back from Dr. Olson to see if this will be okay. Let's Hope!!!

So- on a better note- I went to my 7:30am class- I can’t believe I have one- but it won’t be too bad now because I only have two back to back and not three- as of now…The professor seems like he will be good. Our first play is Macbeth; it has been a while since I read it. So after our class let out I went to the book store so I could start reading it. My friend Ezra that I meet in my Theatre Management class ‘reserved’ / saved me a seat which was really nice. The professor pointed me out since I am the only Oburoni (white person) in the class, the lecture hall fits 400 people but there were probably only about 175 of us. He asked me where I was from and my name. I guess the one good thing the professor will remember your name. The same thing happened in my Theatre Management Class, I don’t know if I mentioned that in a earlier post. People in general are having a hard time pronouncing my name because of the ‘ss’ sound. After class Ezra and I meet up while waiting for the class which has now left my schedule and talked. He is the youngest of 7 which is considered a medium size family here. He seems to be very nice but I am keeping guard up till I get to know him more, most of the people in the department seem to know him- which I don’t know if that is a good or bad thing. He ‘auditioned’ to be on the set crew of one of the show- so far I have seen 4 audition notices- so there should be a lot of shows to look forward to! He has offered to ‘escort’ me to shows. The things I am putting in quotes have similar meanings to both cultures but depending on the person they might mean different things. So we will see- if I go with him I would have others come with me. Both Andi and Johnny enjoy the theatre so maybe if the two of them come too I would feel comfortable going.

After class 3 of drumming I am starting to get it but it still needs some work. I have been tapping on my desk as I wait for the internet to load practicing the different rhythms. The professor is very funny and sorta picks on me and a few others but it with a full heart. He is so passionate about music and dance. This is a class for international students so there is a mix of ethnicities- Asia, European, and American.

It is very very humid today- the last two days have been good but today even though its only 78F out it seems much much warmer because of the humidity.

I am going to go talk to Aunt Theresa or Messilant about volunteering if possible I would like to start next Wednesday. (I am worried about my name with little ones if that is where I end up, I might do the ‘rissa route with them.)

I will speak briefly on being a minority- today and Thursday was truly the first time that I can say I was a minority. When I work I am typically the only female or maybe one other female but I never feel except when the guys “harass” me- in playful ways- that I am a female/minority in my field. But sitting in class surrounded by locals it actually felt intimidating, amazing, and electrifying all at the same time. I know that today race is something that most people accept everywhere- but I think about the days of Rosa Parks, MLK Jr and others who stood up for the minority and wonder what it would be like if I had to fight to sit in an all African school- would if things changed in the past been this way? I sit there and thought of the freedoms I have and each time that a person asks me if I voted in the election I am able to proudly say yes- and I am sure they care who I voted for but no matter if I answer that question when asked or not they will accept that right. As the lecture started and the professor congratulated the class on one last semester’s results but also on a peaceful election I thought about it- when in our recent past have we had to worry about a terror field election? I know things have happened in elections which prohibited certain groups from voting but today we certainly allow them to as a nation it is certain individuals who have created this unrest. Those are some thoughts of the day about minority- I am sure as time goes on I will have some other thoughts about this…

Thanks all for the comments- Let me know if you have any specific questions about life here...

I guess that’s it for now- who know when this will actually be posted…
Midge

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
What an entry...not sure where to begin. Hopefully your schedule issues resolve themselves. Sounds like you are right on top of things. I am anxious to hear about your volunteering...maybe the kids can call you Midge.
You are being mindful around people and that makes me feel some relief....certainly better in numbers.
Nana and Jessica went to your blog and she was very happy to read your entries. She was taken by
your little Midge picture. Catch up later...Mom :)

Anonymous said...

Question: How's the food?!

What an appropriate question coming from me :D Is there a local cuisine? Do you eat mostly "Western" food?

In other news, it has been -33 C/-25 F here recently, so please enjoy some heat and humidity for me, since the closest I can get is a pair of sunglasses...

Have fun!
<3