Sunday, January 18, 2009

Saturday/ Sunday Plans

First off- I got a few (5) photos on Facebook- Here is the link- hopefully it works for you all. Because I can only get a few on at a time I am trying to give you guys a variety of the things that I am seeing here. http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2087389&l=88f73&id=45607311

So yesterday was a great day of getting to see the city of Accra (it is pronounced A-Craw). We started by driving around the city to see the different areas like Osu, East and West Ridge. We went though the Tettah Quarshie who was the man to bring cocoa beans to Ghana has a "rotary" named after him- it is the biggest in West Africa. We were introduced to the multiple hospitals in Accra. There is a clinic and hospital on campus so it will not really be necessary for us (if need be) to go off campus for one.

Our first stop was the Kwame Nkrunah Memorial Park. He was the first president of the liberated Ghana. He served as the president from 1957- 1966 where he was overthrown by a coup. There are many mixed feelings about the leadership of the man but most Ghanians feel that he is the reason for the freedom because he declared it on March 6, 1957, on the very ground that the park stands on today. It is a beautiful park filled with so much importance for the first black nation below the Sierra to gain independence. He died on April 27th 1972 and has three burials and is now in his final resting spot besides his wife. I can not wait for pictures to be available (that i took...) He was a friend of JFK, Fidel Castro, and Nelson Mandela- that combination alone shows a wide array of things that this man tried to accomplish. He wrote over 40 books before his passing on peaceful independence for Africa.

We also stopped at the National Cultural Center which is an outside market with arts of every kind. I am amazed to say that I have not bought anything but necessities for my room because we have been told that when we go to Kumasi and Cape Coast we will be able to get a better price on most goods.

We stopped at the Independence Square which is where inaugurations, parades, and festivals happen. I hope to attend the independence day on March 6th there! There is also many military memorials in the area including the 28th February which was a protest of Ghanaian Soldiers against Britain after WWI where some were murdered for the protest. If my day is available I would like to attend the service.

We then went to have dinner at a 'Chinese' restaurant which is not American Chinese but Africa Chinese. It was good. There was way way tooo much food. We then proceeded to Oxford Street where we were able to walk around and see other artists work and such.

Our last stop for this very busy day was the Accra Mall- which is an inside mall with AC-which made most of us a little happy. They have the more trendy things and 'supermarkets' and 'Targets' it is close to campus so if you really need something it is close by and you can get basically everything you need- I will try to avoid it because it does not have the culture of the street but it nice to know its there.

Our Cape Coast trip is being post-ponned because the Legon (AKA the University of Ghana)is having a Darbur (large party with music, dance, and food) and we dont want to miss it...

Sunday we are going to the beach (thats today my time...) I cant wait to see the ocean, swim in the ocean, and relax before classes 'start' on Monday- I guess the first week of classes here are sorta hit and miss if lecturers actually come or if they start teaching.

Things I have learned so far-
Ghana is still close friends with Cuba
People love their country here
The sun rises early and we will be as well
Twi is pronounced more like tree with a little accent
Time is no issue- classes start on Monday and most of the schedules are not up
Water is a necessity in your body
I have never realized what clean water means.
Do not shave with just the head of a razor- someone else found this out for me
The play Vagina Monologues is done all over the world-
Tro-Tros (city buses) are a cool mode of transportation.
I need to make a list of things that I want to do while I am here-
Always carry toilet paper with you
There is a huge excitement about both Ghana's Presidential election and the USA election

I guess that is it for now- Leave comments!
Oh- skype sorta works its very delayed but I am trying to contact people when there is a chance and its not 3am your time or my time....

<3 Midge

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey,

phone still frustrating
but we still love hearing your voice if only for a minute
skype will rule
pictures look good
miss you and love you

mom & dad

Anonymous said...

Hi Marissa,
the pictures are wonderful especially of the beach...the children are precious!!!! Hope your scheduling of classes was an easy process! Love to read your daily adventures.
Miss and Love you...
Mom :)