Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thanksgiving...

Tuesday November 25th, 2008

Today was a fun but sad day- I guess I will have to prepare myself for so-longs and not good-byes as the weeks and next few months come to an end. It is only about 45 days before I will be getting on a jet plane and not only saying goodbye to family and friends but to a country that I have called home for the last almost 21 years of my life. I wonder ever day what my new life will be like, is it going to be something that I will call home? Is this a place that I will decide could be a place that I want to live for the rest of my life? There are so many unanswered questions that will not be answered within the next weeks or months but will be answered when on January 12th I land in a new country, a new city, a new school. How will registering for classes by foot be? How will not have warm running water affect me? How will the heat affect me? So many questions and no answers today or tomorrow.

Only time will tell me what my life has in store for me and as I sit here on a train traveling to the American holiday of holidays I think of my freedoms, of my blessings, of the days that so many people fought for us to have these freedoms. As we as an American people, we dawn on a new era. We have a president named Barack Hussein Obama, this is a dawn that I am glad that I got to see. Will a woman be next? Will a black woman be next? Who will it be and how is it going to work for our country. History repeats itself, this is something I learned at a young age and feel that my prediction is correct as I said so many years ago... black men and then women had the right to vote. So this is following the suit of so many years ago.

I sit on a train and feel the ever so slight movements and think of the days when people didn’t have this luxury and how I have complained for so many hours in the part 3 years about not having a car to travel with. What choices did the past have…and the bigger question what options will I have 3 months from now if I want to travel somewhere- how will I get somewhere?

I am blessed, I have an honor, I have an opportunity to be who I want to be, to be the change I want to see in the world. To cry BECAUSE it is over and to CRY because it happened and not to be afraid of the tears that I shed and to be glad that I have been given this opportunity. I am not a religious person but I do consider myself a spiritual person: we have each been given a short time on this planet to do what it is that WE want to do, not what other people want us to do. I am ready to make a commitment to myself to do what it is that I want to do and not let any one else tell me any different.

So be thankful, be considerate, be who it is you want to be.

Love-midge

PS. I find out on Monday if all goes as plan about the national geographic thing. But no matter what I promise great stories and great pictures for all of you to see.


It is Sunday now and I have returned to my dorm from a short but nice holiday break. The blog is deciding it does not want to work- stupid thing…. Well This week was nice but I do wish I was able to see Aunt Doria- but I got to see most of the family which is always nice. It will be Christmas before we know it and I will get to see all the family that I didn’t get to see this break.

40 Days on Tuesday- It is going so fast- But after some shopping this weekend I feel like I am close to having everything that I need for my trip! So excited! I am glad to know some people are reading my blog but i wish they would comment..

That is it for now…

Midge

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey,

long day yesterday for your mom
over 7 hours to drive what should
take about 4 - 4 1/2 I worried a
bit, too.

good luck today on the NG thing!
I'm sure you'll call when you hear.