Wednesday, May 13, 2009

WAWA

Okay. WAWA. West Africa Wins Again. I have not brought this up before but common phrase we use within the ISEP group- get ready this is 5 days of adventures.


So Saturday morning around 8am I left for Kumasi to visit with Israel’s family before I come back to the USA. While Ghana just yes- JUST enforced speed limits because of the increase of accidents. So the last time it tool 4 hours this time it took almost 8! I arrived at around 4pm and was meet by Inno (Israel’s Sister) and headed to his parents. Of course I was fed right away which I was hungry so it worked. Even though it was a long trip Dr. Geoffrey was my seat partner and we talked about so many things. He is an audiologist and lecturer at KNUST (Technology school in Kumasi). We talked politics, education, libraries, the heart of the old and the young. At the rest area he offered to buy me food and drinks- just a great guy. I have his card I might give him a call someday!

So on this trip I got to meet Morgan- the oldest brother (and also his family). Senior his oldest son has Malaria right now- I meet him but they said he wasn’t himself- I wasn’t when I had it so I can emphasize! So after a bit and a chat with Deku (his dad) we headed to Inno’s house at the Military Army Barracks. We settled in for the night. I got to play with Princess a lot. Sweet little girl. We had some great talks it was nice to have girl time.

Sunday morning Morgan came with a friend Nana and her two kids and we just hung around- ATE WAYYYY TOOOO Much! And just relaxed. For breakfast I had 4 egg sandwiches- I feel bad not eating what is given to me. Lunch was pasta with vegetable sauce and dinner was Banku with ground nut soup (peanut butter). Morgan made fun of me for not being able to finish the food but it is sooo heavy and I was full! That evening we went to visit some of her friends (who also know Israel) so they could meet me. Inno was asked but a group of hooligans (army husbands!) why she was hiding an Oburoni in the barracks and not telling them- and she said she is not gonna sell her sister out!

Monday morning we headed to Israel’s parents house so I could say goodbye- I think at one point I was bring baby Francis, Princess, and Nelkel home! Oh how that would have been flying! We then headed to Morgan’s place where I meet his other two boys and his wife Irene and many of her family- its common for families to live in the same buildings.

We then headed to the bus station and about an hour later the bus was full and we were off. About 40 minutes into the trip the AC stopped working and of course this bus you could not open the window! OMG was it hot! No one on the bus wanted to talk to me so I put my headphones in and tried to forget where I was. I got back to campus around 4pm and had dinner and headed to bed for we were leaving for Togo in the AM 8! It was a great weekend.

So on Tuesday morning we headed out at 8am and had to take a bus to the station because no trotros were available. I have never been in a more crowded and uncomfortable situation! We got to the station around 9:45 and it was about 11:30 before the tro was filled and we were off to Aflao the last town in Ghana before Togo. So Morgan’s friend Akwaaba (meaning welcome ironically) works for immigration and Morgan asked him to help us out we meet up with him and another friend of Morgan’s Ernest. They brought us through deport of Ghana and arrival into Togo- great help! And helped exchange money and got us a nice taxi driver who helped us get a room. It was too perfect. Togo is expensive!

We got a decent room and headed to the picturesque beach. A rosta came up to us and with actually great English had a nice convo about different things. He is a master drummer and we talked about one of the pieces I knew. We talked a lot about family and of course if we are available and if we have sisters who are. But he wasn’t too bad. Even though he gave his ring to Mallory- but wasn’t pushy. So we went back and had dinner. I had Pork Cordon Blu with Mashed Potatoes and Salad. And we all got desert I got a chocolate mouse! YUM! So we went to bed early because we needed to get an early start to the day. We woke up and went and got French bread which came with Orange Juice. Well I took a sip and after I looked in my glass (I should know by now!) Well there were lovely little white worms with black bums in my drink. So off to the pharmacy tomorrow for de-wormer!

So we then headed to the market- which really wasn’t the right one but we didn’t know and Jess and Mallory found some bags which was the second purpose besides our VISA renewals. So according to the hotel lady later they got a really good price on which is good to hear! So we walked the beach back and saw first hand the book’s picture of the beach being a public toilet! Both #1 and #2! Oh the joys of West Africa. We went back to the hotel and got our things around 10:30 and got 3 motor bikes to take us to the border. That’s really the way the taxi in Togo. Safely we arrived but since our phones were not working in Togo land we weren’t able to call our friends. So a MP walked us through and we got called into the health room and of course I didn’t have my yellow card that says I have the yellow fever vaccine which is required in Ghana. The lady at first was very mean and was like what are you doing. And I kindly and politely told here I entered into the Accra airport (and have a stamp to prove it) and she was like oh okay and let us through and said Have a nice day. It was nice to see they actually do care about their health here!

So we exchanged some money back- oh its weird to hand a 5000 and get 14 back! But oh well. So we got in a tro and about noon we were on the road back. The road from Accra to Togo is off and on/ bad and good. But there are lots of police check point and customs. So we got stopped a few times. One time we all had to get out and have our things search- but what ever- at least they are doing things to try to stop illegal activities. And I think at one stop our driver might have got a speeding ticket! In this tro we made two friends a guy from Chicago though born in Africa. He was very nice and also a lady traveling from Niger who we were able to help to figure out where in Accra she needed to go/be because this was her first trip. Its nice to be able to know a city and help others out! It was about 3:30/4pm when we got back to the hostel. I am tired- but the next two days are busy as well. But Saturday I can sleep in for what its worth here!

Tomorrow I am getting my hair done and have to go to the ISEP office and then a few friends from class and the orphanage (volunteer) are coming over to say our goodbyes because they are heading out on Friday. Friday if all goes well we (Andi, Jess, Mal, and I) are going to Soymanya for a dedication ceremony for an ITC center that Mal’s volunteer job is helping out with. And then Saturday Andi leaves- can its be real?

One week- can it really be. I can’t wait to be home to see people. But I am gonna miss it here. But I do have a nice sun burn from the Togo Beach today- my first one and I have been here for 4 months!!! I am proud of myself!

So WAWA- West Africa wins by stealing my heart!

No comments: