Monday, May 4, 2009

Continuing on the home thoughts

So will I miss the minority that I am in while here? I have gotten so use to being in Africa for going a whole trip by myself and not seeing another white person. How will it to be home and no have this feeling anymore? How will it feel to go to Maine and not see many African-Americans and wonder where they all are- even though they were never here? Will I feel weird- I think so. I have a feeling this transition will take a little while. Not being yelled out after like I am a celebrity will also be weird- I am use to it- it doesn't bother me (some people are still bothered by it). But they most have not expected it for some reason even when coming to a land that is so unlike home.

I haven't been degraded or not allowed to do something because I am a foreigner or a white while being here but there are days that I have felt that I got watched closer then others- I can't truly say that it is racist actions but I can start to know what people in the USA who don't fit the "anglo-male" that most of society still feel on a regular basis. How can we still live in a society that does these types of things when we are almost in the 2nd decade of the new millennium!?!? It just doesn't make any sense- but it happens. And I know the people reading this don't need to be told but lets change it- its not easy- we have come a long way but we still have a long way to go- its scary.

I am feeling much better- today is the last day on the meds- hopefully my stomach will settle down once I am off these- that is the worse part right now! Tomorrow Andi and I are going to finish up our shopping- I have one thing to get! yeah!!! Wednesday and Thursday study, Final on Friday- Karaoke at Champs, Saturday if all goes well I am heading to Kumasi to visit the Deku's! More later.

Midge

No comments: